DFAS 1099-R    Obtaining Additional Copies


Military retirees and annuitants receive a 1099R tax statement either electronically via myPay or as a paper copy in their mail each year. Members can also request additional copies of their 1099R tax statements in several different ways. The fastest and most secure way to obtain a copy of your 1099R is myPay. Just login to myPay, and you can print your 1099R out in the comfort of your own home. Not a myPay user yet? Then the fastest and easiest way to get a copy of your 1099R besides myPay, is to use DFAS’s telephone self-service option. Telephone self service requests are logged instantly and are sent to your current address of record within three business days. Call 1-800-321-1080.


     If you’re not a myPay user, and the mailing address you have on file with DFAS is out of date, the easiest quickest way to get your 1099R sent to an updated address is to submit your request through the internet. At http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/manage/taxes/getting1099r/viaaskdfas.html you can update your mailing address, enter your email address, and request your 1099R be sent to the new address using one easy form. Your transaction will be logged instantly and it will be in the mail to you within 7 to 10 business days.


     Do you prefer traditional mail? If so, send DFAS a written request by fax or mail, and make sure you leave them time to reply. Keep in mind, it takes 30 to 60 days to process requests received by by fax or mail. Members with unique situations can speak directly to one of DFAS’s customer care representatives by calling 1-800-321-1080. Depending on call volume, you may have to wait on hold while they assist other customers.

Source:  Shift Colors, Vol. 60, Issue 3, Winter 2014