· Soldier of Fortune Magazine. The controversial SOF magazine that chronicles mercenaries, soldiers, gun enthusiasts and anyone with an interest in the world of warfare, will shutter its print edition after a 41-year run and become an online-only publication. April will be its last issue
· Survivor Brian Shul. Check out https://www.youtube.com/embed/3kIMTJRgyn0?autoplay=1 and listen to former Air Force pilot Brian Shul, who was shot down in Vietnam and near death, talk about his experiences in service.
· Military Discounts. Go to http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/military-discounts for a list of 230+ stores and services. Two important caveats: First, some stores offer discounts only at the owner's discretion and other discounts vary by state. Second, many stores that give a military discount don't advertise it. It is always worth asking a store whether they have one or not and to have your military ID on you.
· Vet Free Dental Care. The University of Southern Indiana Dental Hygiene Clinic repeated their annual free dental cleaning, fluoride and X-rays for military veterans February 29 and March 2. The USI Dental Hygiene Program expanded the appointment schedule to include evening hours in attempt to serve more veterans. Appointments were required and could be made by calling 812-464-1706. Proof of military affiliation and a picture identification was required. The USI Dental Hygiene Clinic is located on the USI campus in the Health Professions Center Room 1040, 8600 University Boulevard, Evansville, Indiana 47712.
· USS South Dakota. Gov. Dennis Daugaard has approved the appropriation of $100,000 to support activities related to the commissioning of a submarine bearing the state's name. The SSN-790 submarine is under construction and is expected to be completed in 2018. The nuclear sub will carry a crew of 15 officers and 117 enlisted service personnel. Its projected lifespan is up to 33 years.
· Same Sex Marriage. Veterans in same-sex marriages who believe they are entitled to benefits (including those whose claims were previously denied because of their marriage status) are urged to promptly apply for benefits. For more information, updated guidance and instructions on how to re-apply, visit the VA website http://www.va.gov/opa/marriage, call 800-642-4838, or contact your local benefits counselor.
· Olive Garden. Go http://www.olivegarden.com/locations/location-search?redirectToMenu=true to see their buy one – take one home for free deal.
· Extremist. A U.S. Air Force veteran was found guilty of attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State on 9 MAR in what authorities hailed as a first-of-its-kind conviction after a trial. Tairod Nathan Webster Pugh faces a possible maximum sentence of 35 years in prison.
· Seabees. The Navy has unveiled an updated Seabees logo and theme ahead of the fighting construction force's 75th anniversary in 2017
Yours in service,